Committee Report to State Council
We had a great committee meeting in October with robust discussion on several topics. We did an overview of the 9th edition rollout of TNCC. So far we have over 150 instructors that have successfully crossed over to the new edition! A couple of important 9th edition TNCC reminders:
- Ensure instructors are are checking the library for most up to date class content
- Challengers will be required to complete the modules
- Fast track is no longer an option for students. One day renewal course for current students is going live in its place.
Also discussed were current trends in trauma and the standardization of calcium replacement in massive transfusions. Case study and article discussion followed.
Our next Trauma committee meeting will be January 8th. Zoom link to follow.
We had another successful Trauma Committee meeting last week with 24 participants. We discussed the new launch of 9th Edition TNCC. An email went out to all TNCC instructors on 7/31/23, this email has a link to update modules and information on steps to follow to update and become a current 9th Edition TNCC instructors. We are continuing to increase the number of students taking TNCC. January to July 2022 saw 2432 students taking TNCC while this January to July 2023 saw 2558 students taking TNCC. The Trauma Chair webinar gave us new information:
- From this point forward all challenger students will be required to complete the pre-course modules before testing.
- he Fast track option for TNCC will be discontinued with 9th Edition, instead there will be a separate class for a 1 day renewal.
- TNCC instructors must complete the 9th edition TNCC before teaching 9th Edition or the expiration date of their TNCC instructor status, whichever comes first.
Additionally we now have a great group of volunteers becoming Regional Directors. Please welcome:
- Brett Dodd
- Steven Jacobson
- Tobin Miller
- Renee Smith\
- Brandon Stinnett
Our next committee meeting is October 24, 2023 at 1800 (Pacific Time) via Zoom We hope to see you there! .Zoom link to meeting see below:
We had a great Trauma Committee meeting last week with 28 participants. We discussed TNCC trends from both last year and this year. Last quarter we had 1,172 students go through TNCC! 741 in person and 431 virtually. We also had a great conversation with updates on the 9th edition TNCC course. A pilot 9th edition course was taught March 15th & 16th in San Francisco. Feedback given:
- Lectures ran mostly as expected
- Overwhelming positive feedback on the TNP scenarios- particularly starting with a simple assessment and moving to more complicated
- Positive feedback on the decreased number of teaching points in the TNP scenarios
- Written test was described as significantly more difficult that previous editions
Additionally we had Dr. Renee Smith present on her upcoming CE opportunity regard OB Trauma and give us about a 15 min sneak peak of what’s to come! It was a great discussion followed by a great Q&A session. We are thankful to everyone who made it out. Save the date for our next committee meeting August 1st at 1800!
In the March 14, 2023 Committee meeting we had 26 people attend via Zoom. Our educational offering was delayed, and we are hoping to have it ready by the May meeting. Our plan is to have a one hour educational offering in trauma available by a link that can be accessed on demand. We looked at TNCC class statistics comparing in-person vs virtual finding that consistently there are more in-person classes than virtual classes. We also looked at the total number of students in January and February last year compared to this year and we appear to be about 35-40 students more this year than last. The new 9th Edition TNCC is due to rollout in July of this year. A pilot 9th Edition course was held in San Francisco on March 15 & 16, and we have allotted time in the May meeting to hear how that went from some of the instructors. The TNCC 9th Edition should be fully in place by October 2023.
Good meeting today! We are happy to announce Deb Lugo is joining Megan Duke as co-chair for 2023! We are still looking for additional regional directors. If you are interested please contact us. For 2022 California has had approximately 2,844 provider courses and 127 instructor courses. More classes coming in November and December! Great job everyone!
Course Director Updates:
- Provider expiration dates will reflect to the end of the month going forward
- You can now order up to 100 manuals without reaching out to ENA
- Students can now register with any email regardless of which one the course director gave
- Students do not need to wait for the exam link once they complete their hands on test. They can go directly into their profile and take the exam after hands on portion is completed
- Challenger modules are available, but not required
- In ENA connect there will be a monthly update in the announcement section for the most important updates
- Before an instructor course all the candidates can test up to 90 days before the instructor course. If outside of that time window you will need to retest 9th Ed. of TNCC Dates Released for 2023: Feb 28th: Last 8th edition Instructor Course Mid-April: Instructor Update Mid May: Go live for 9th edition TNCC courses July 23rd: Last day to teach 8th edition course.
We had a GREAT committee meeting with lots of sharing best practices and collaboration. We are still awaiting dates for the new TNCC one day course launch as well as the date for when the course evaluation situation will be fixed. Stay tuned for updates! We also had an awesome discussion about what trauma orientation looks like at different institutions. Orientation programs from various institutions were shared as well as an article review on trauma documentation. Looking forward to seeing everyone in May.